Articles

Tarrytown PC-1252 - History

Tarrytown PC-1252 - History



We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

Tarrytown

(PC-1252: dp. 348 (tl.), 1. 173'8"; b. 23'0", dr. 10'10"
s. 20.2 k. (tl.); cpl. 65, a. 1 3", 1 40mm; cl. PC-461)

PC-1253 was laid down on 8 June 1942 at Houston, Tex., by the Brown Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 30 September 1942; sponsored by Miss Joan Keenan; and commissioned on 27 March 1943, Lt. Harry E. Wilkinson, USNR, in command.

Following shakedown near Miami, Fla., PC-1253 reported to the Commander, Eastern Sea Frontier, for duty escorting ships between New York and the Caribbean. From May 1943 to March 1944, she made roundtrip voyages from New York City to either Key West, Fla., or Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

On 25 March, PC-1252 departed New York bound for Falmouth, England, where she arrived on 19 April. After patrolling between Plymouth and Southhampton for over six weeks, she was assigned, on 3 June, to the forces preparing to invade Europe at Normandy. During Operation "Overlord," she was assigned duty covering the assault at "Utah" beach. After the landing forces had fought their way inland, she resumed patrols, first at "Omaha" beach and then at Cherbourg. Later, PC-1252 patrolled the Channel islands and the area around Le Havre.

Exactly one year after the Normandy invasion, on 6 June 1945, PC-1253 departed Europe in company with 16 other escorts. After stops in the Azores and in Bermuda, she reached Miami on 21 June and began overhaul at the Merrill Stevens drydocks. She completed repairs by the end of September and headed north to Norfolk, Va. From there, she was routed farther north for duty out of Melville, R.I. After operating along the northeastern coast of the United States for one year, PC-1252 was decommissioned on 28 June 1946 and joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet at Philadelphia, Pa. Almost 10 years later, on 15 February 1956, she was named Tarrytown.

In 1960, Tarrytown was earmarked for disposal through the Military Assistance Program. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 July 1960, and she was sold to Venezuela the following October. Acquired along with 11 of her sister ships for use in antismuggling patrols, she never saw duty with the Venezuelan Navy. Tarrytown was later discarded by Venezuela, probably after being cannibalized for spare parts for her 10 sisters who were in service

Tarrytown (PC-1252) earned one battle star during World War II.


Tarrytown PC-1252 - History


One of the most popular neighborhoods in the Austin area is Tarrytown. Its popularity is due in large part to its location between downtown Austin and Lake Austin and the type of homes that are found throughout. Tarrytown is a great place to live with a lot of history to discover. In that spirit, here are four things that you may not have know about Austin’s Tarrytown neighborhood.


1. Tarrytown has one of oldest and most decorated independent pharmacies in the state. The Tarrytown Pharmacy is the epitome of the quintessential small, neighborhood business. Opened one day before Pearl Harbor in 1941, the Tarrytown Pharmacy has been at the exact same location ever since. The second owners, the Newberry family, have owned the iconic shop for three generations. Nowadays, the Tarrytown Pharmacy is a notable area attraction and great place to fill prescriptions!


2. It’s a progressive beacon of animal rights (sort of). The Tarrytown Shopping Center is notoriously strict on the selling of animal products for consumption. The center’s current owner, Houston, TX resident Jeanne Daniels, took over the shop in the early 2000s and promptly ran all establishments that serve animal meat right out. The biggest casualty of the new no tolerance policy was the iconic Holiday House. The burger shop was frequented by locals and it went out of business due to the policy. Shortly thereafter, a vegetarian cuisine shop opened up.


3. Tarrytown has a dynamic architectural scene. Being a highly affluent area of Austin, several residents have chosen to construct or remodel iconic homes catered to their specific design proclivities. For instance, where else but those old neighborhoods in Old West Austin are you going to discover this fine example of the Medieval revival design style?


4. Tarrytown might be one of Austin’s oldest industrial areas. Located in Reed Park, there is a massive rock and mortar building called a Lime Kiln, which was constructed in 1871 by a former Tarrytown resident. Apparently, Peter C. Taylor was an innovator in the field of Lime Kiln building and received a patent for his triangle support system, which allowed the kilns to withstand constant use. The supports have since deteriorated. It’s said that many of the historic homes in the Tarrytown area are made with the lime manufactured in that very kiln. There’s also a rumor that another, smaller kiln has been seen about a mile south, but reports are not confirmed.


Brown Shipbuilding

The Brown Shipbuilding Company was founded in Houston, Texas, in 1942 as a subsidiary of Brown and Root (now KBR) by brothers Herman and George R. Brown to build ships for the U.S. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_0 Navy during World War II. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_1

Brown Shipbuilding Company ranked 68th among United States corporations in the value of World War II military production contracts. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_2

In 1941, Navy officials asked the Brown brothers to build four submarine chasers. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_3

The brothers had no shipbuilding experience, but had helped build Naval Air Station Corpus Christi. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_4

In 1942, the brothers formed Brown Shipbuilding and, with $9 million in Navy funding, built the Green's Bayou Fabrication Yard at the juncture of the Houston Ship Channel and Green's Bayou. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_5

After delivering the ships, Brown received orders for landing craft and more sub chasers, and eventually won an order for destroyer escorts at $3.3 million per ship. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_6

Between May 1943 and August 1944, Brown turned out 61 destroyer escorts, an average of one per week. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_7

Perhaps the most famous was USS Samuel B. Roberts, part of the outgunned Taffy 3 unit that turned back a Japanese battleship force during the Battle of Leyte Gulf. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_8

Brown also built 254 amphibious assault ships, known as LSMs, between May 1944 and March 1946. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_9

By the end of the war, it had produced over 350 Navy warships in contracts totaling over $500 million. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_10

After the war, the shipyard was sold to Todd Shipyards. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_11

After Todd’s Houston division closed in 1985, the yard was once again used by Brown and Root, this time for barge construction and repair. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_12

The property was sold piecemeal to multiple buyers in 2004. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_13

In 1961, the company won the $200 million contract to build the Manned Spacecraft Center in Houston, Texas. Brown Shipbuilding_sentence_14


Where the Hudson Valley begins

Mansion tours are back! Starting July 2nd you can now take a Classic Mansion or Backstairs Tour, Friday through Sunday. Reserve your tickets now!

Our grounds are open from 9:30 am to 4:30 pm, don’t forget to buy your Daily Grounds Pass before arriving!

Our office hours are 9 am to 4 pm Monday through Friday. Please email us: [email protected] for any questions or concerns. Our office is not currently open to the public, and phone messages may be answered on an infrequent basis.

We look forward to seeing you!

Events

Fridays - Sundays, July 2nd - September 26th

Classic Mansion Tour

This one-hour tour covers two floors and treats visitors to a rare glimpse of the lavish decorative arts and architecture.

Every day, May 3rd - December 19th

Daily Grounds Pass

Purchase your Daily Grounds Pass May 3rd through December 19th to visit Lyndhurst's grounds.

Fridays - Sundays, July 2nd - Sept. 26th

Backstairs Tour

For those wishing to experience more of the Mansion, go behind the scenes in the Backstairs Tour.

Fridays - Sundays, May 7th - August 29th

Gardens & Grounds Tour

This tour combines history of the estate and its residents with some discussion of trees and historic plantings.

Saturdays & Sundays, July 3rd - September 26th

Watershed Moment By Jorge Otero-Pailos

A site specific art commission by artist and preservationist Jorge Otero-Pailos reveals the ruined pool building and its memories of water.

Fridays - Sundays, May 7th - August 29th

Hudson River Views Tour

Traverse the lower western portion of the Lyndhurst landscape.


CELEBRATING LOCAL BLACK HISTORY

Roger S. Glass is the great grandson of the late Clarence Jackson and the late Addie Jackson, both longtime Tarrytown residents the grandson of the late Virginia Jackson Nelson and the late Henry Nelson, both lifelong Tarrytown residents and the son of Alba Nelson Glass, who was born and raised in Tarrytown. Roger was born in Tarrytown in 1952 and currently resides in Washington, DC. You can visit his family history blog at www.roger-glass.com.

2020 Presentation

Click on image at left to read.

2019 ESSAY NUMBER 2

CLARENCE C. JACKSON JR.
Tarrytown’s Legendary High School Athlete

In the early 1920’s, one name stood out among the outstanding athletes at Washington Irving High School—Clarence Channing Jackson, Jr. A legendary football player and track and field star, Jackson’s exploits were regularly touted in the Tarrytown Daily News.

“Chan Jackson Makes 65-Yard Run for Touchdown,” a headline from the Nov. 24, 1921 issue of the paper shouted.

“It was a common occurrence for young Jackson to make exceptional long runs and win (football) games within seconds of the final period,” a 1961 article in the same newspaper says. His “terrific burst of speed and his ability to twist, turn, weave and dodge were executed quicker than the bat of an eyelid.”

Another Tarrytown Daily News article, penned by Wally Buxton in May 1960, recalled Jackson’s track and field feats. “On Memorial Day 1922, a track meet was held under the auspices of Washington Irving High School. Six schools competed in the annual meet.” Buxton further wrote “the star of the day was Clarence ‘Chan’ Jackson, certainly a wonder athlete for a boy. His running was tops and his winning of the running jump was thrilling. In the pole vault he established a new record and ran away from the field in the relay race.”

In that same article, Buxton, who grew up with Jackson, reminisced about their childhood together. “I have known ‘Chan’ since 1906. He lived at 62 John Street and he had a wonderful home environment…..

I remember best the days we kicked goals in Cobb’s Lot when Chan Jackson, Johnny Gross, Buck Weaver, Irving Williams, and George Lemon would play against Bill Gross, George Cole, Joe Quinn, Lester Delancy, Red Fisher and Rollie Willams,” Buxton wrote.

Upon his graduation from Washington Irving in 1922, a newspaper editorial said this about Clarence Channing Jackson, Jr.: “We are frank to admit that it will be some years before another Jackson is discovered. He is a wonder-athlete.”

Jackson went on to star in track at Springfield College in Massachusetts, where he earned a degree in physical education, and would later coach the first women’s track team to compete internationally.

An Advocate for Baltimore’s Black Youth

Jackson may have saved his best and most important victories for the 1930s, ‘40s and ‘50s. In 1929, the Tarrytown native took a position with the Baltimore Department of Recreation. He was given responsibility for the recreational activities and sports programs for the city’s black youth.

Jackson “organized much of the first amateur sports activities for black Baltimoreans,” a 1972 Baltimore newspaper article said. Jackson told the paper that he “used every trick in the trade, every trick that I could command to gain facilities and opportunities” for black youth.

Ironically, though not surprisingly, a half-century earlier Jackson’s mother, Addie Jackson, had argued for more recreational opportunities for black youth in Tarrytown. Addressing an advisory group set up in the early 1900s to make recommendations for improving the village, Momma Addie said this: ‘There is no recreation for colored boys and girls in Tarrytown. The civic league does wonderful work, but outside of that there is no means of recreation provided for us.”

Clarence Jackson would become the first black supervisor in the city of Baltimore’s recreation department and, in 1977, the city honored him with the opening of the “C.C. Jackson Recreation Center” in north Baltimore. “I was pleased to read of his (Jackson’s) rise to honor in the Baltimore Press,” his old friend Buxton wrote in the 1960 article. “It was a long overdue tribute to a clean-cut American boy.”

2019 ESSAY NUMBER 1

CELEBRATING TARRYTOWN’S BLACK HISTORY
Family Starts Red Cross Chapter to Aid
Black Soldiers Fighting in World War I

When World War I broke out in 1914, Americans were encouraged to knit items to be sent to the troops. Tarrytown’s Addie Jackson and her daughters Beatrice, Virginia and Marie pitched in by knitting socks, scarves and gloves for the servicemen. “On Sundays in those days everyone would make a pair of socks and there’d be at least four pairs of socks by the end of the day and gloves and scarves by the end of the week,” Marie Jackson said in a 1981 article published in the Tarrytown Daily News.
However, when Addie Jackson learned that these clothing items were not being sent to black soldiers, she and her daughters started a Red Cross chapter in their Tarrytown home, and began knitting and sending scarves, gloves and socks to the black troops.
“We started the Red Cross in Tarrytown because it (the Red Cross) was segregated in those days,” Virginia Jackson told the Tarrytown newspaper. “They wouldn’t take blacks and there were blacks fighting in the 369 th Regiment. So mother started the Red Cross in our home.”
That was the start of almost 70 years of Red Cross involvement on the part of the Jackson family. Over the next several decades, Marie (Jackson) Plater and Virginia (Jackson) Nelson would become tireless and distinguished Red Cross volunteers.
In the 1970s, Marie founded a “call program” for the Tarrytown chapter of the Red Cross that would become a model for Westchester County. She directed volunteers from branches across the county who once a week would call to check up on housebound or ill senior citizens.

Marie is also credited with originating Early Alert, a cooperative effort between the post office and the Red Cross. A March 1981 article in the Tarrytown Daily News described the Early Alert program this way: “If an older person’s mail remains untouched for three days, the letter carrier contacts Red Cross volunteers who investigate to make sure the person is safe.”

In 1968, Virginia Nelson was recognized for 50 years of service to the Red Cross. At the time, she was the Tarrytown chapter’s production chairman. Not surprisingly, the work she was doing in that capacity was consistent with the family tradition. “Mrs. Nelson has earned a reputation at Chapter headquarters for invariably being able to fill requests for sweaters, afghans, gift bags or whatever other knitting and sewing is needed,” a newspaper article said in a report on Virginia’s recognition for 50 years of service.


Helen Camlakides/Sportsman's Kennels, Manorville: State inspectors found the kennel to be "non-compliant critical" at three different inspections within a 12-month period. The AKC breeder's facility was cited twice in the fall for a Labrador retriever with skin issues and prominent hair loss and unsafe conditions. The facility had more than 300 dogs. Patch reached out via social media to talk to the owners of the puppy mill but has not heard back. If we do, we'll update this story.

Bridget Hewson/ADK Puppy Patch, Childwold: State inspectors found violations for a sick dog who had not been taken to a veterinarian, a strong odor of urine/ammonia, dirty conditions and veterinary care issues. Patch was not able to locate the owners of the puppy mill. If we eventually contact them, we'll update this story.

Marvin Martin Hoover/Shady Lane Kennel, Penn Yan: The state found "at least" six puppies sold without disclosure of health problems. Adult dogs did not have veterinary examinations. Patch reached out via email to the owners of the puppy mill but has not heard back. If we do, we'll update this story.

James Leach/Leach Sheep & Goat Station, Martville: State inspectors found many dogs in a barn without water or with only dirty water bowls. Some dogs were matted or had overgrown nails. Veterinary issues were found three years in a row at the operation with more than 100 dogs. Patch was unable to locate the owners of the puppy mill. If we eventually do, we'll update this story.

Joyce Martin/Seneca River Kennels (previously K&J Kennels), Waterloo: The kennel failed three state inspections in 2020 for issues such as a "critical" violation for a pregnant basset hound with a swollen eye that did not receive prompt treatment. There was decrepit housing, the odor of urine and underage puppy sales. Patch was unable to locate the owners of the puppy mill. If we eventually do, we'll update this story.

Curtis Rist/Hudson Labradoodles, Hudson: The kennel had "horrible foul odor," dogs and puppies were standing in filthy conditions, several dogs "were matted and covered in [their own] waste material. The facility has had similar violations for years (repeat offender). Patch reached out via email to talk to the owners of the puppy mill but has not heard back. If we do, we'll update this story.

Alvin Shirk/A&L Kennels, Dundee: More than 100 dogs were found with inadequate veterinary records. The kennel sold underage puppies and had prior issues with injured dogs (repeat offender). Patch was unable to locate the owners of the puppy mill. If we eventually do, we'll update this story.

Missouri once again led the Horrible Hundred list with nearly two dozen problem dealers, the Humane Society noted:

  • Missouri: 21 dealers
  • Ohio: 16 dealers
  • Iowa: 11 dealers
  • Nebraska: 8 dealers
  • Pennsylvania: 8 dealers
  • Kansas: 7 dealers
  • New York: 7 dealers
  • Indiana: 6 dealers
  • Georgia: 5 dealers
  • Illinois: 4 dealers
  • Arkansas: 2 dealers
  • Kentucky: 1 dealer
  • Minnesota: 1 dealer
  • Tennessee: 1 dealer
  • Texas: 1 dealer
  • Wisconsin: 1 dealer

The Humane Society said that inclusion in the Horrible Hundred report is not an indication that any local, state or federal laws have been broken, but that the conditions described illustrate the need for tougher laws to protect the dogs.

Not all states require inspections of puppy breeding facilities. In some cases, regulators cut down on inspections, but the Humane Society said regulatory authorities ceased or curtailed inspections during the pandemic. Yet pet stores were considered essential businesses as interest in companion animals soared.

"Now more than ever, dogs need our protection, and kennel laws should be strictly enforced to make sure animals are protected in the next disaster," the Humane Society said.

Some problem puppy mills cited in the 2020 Horrible Hundred report have closed, the Humane Society noted.

The report doesn't include every problem puppy mill in the country, the Humane Society said, noting that "states with no dealers in this report are not necessarily doing better at preventing puppy mills."

Many states do not have kennel inspection laws, do not share inspection records with the public or have not enforced the laws that are on the books. Some other trends:

About 40 percent of the dealers cited in the report are licensed by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, "but it appears that many more of the breeders listed in this report are operating in a manner that would require a USDA license, yet they have not obtained one, partly due to the steep plunge in USDA enforcement since 2017," the Humane Society said.

About 40 percent of the 100 dealers on the list are repeat offenders who have appeared on at least one of the Humane Society's previous reports.

At least eight of the dealers in the report are linked to Petland, the largest chain of puppy-selling pet stores in the country, although the HSUS said it's very likely that number is much higher because Petland purchases mostly from brokers (re-sellers), many of its breeders cannot easily be linked to the stores, and the HSUS does not have access to all sourcing records.

Many of the sellers in this report were offering American Kennel Club-registerable puppies or promoting themselves as AKC breeders, which is an issue because the AKC regularly opposes laws that would help crack down on puppy mill cruelty.

The best way to help animals is to refuse to buy a puppy from an internet site, a pet store or any breeder that buyers haven't carefully screened and met in person, the Humane Society said.


PF, Patrouillenfregatte

  • USS Asheville (PF-1) ex-PG-101
  • USS Natchez (PF-2) ex-PG-102
  • USS Tacoma (PF-3) ex-PG-111
  • USS Sausalito (PF-4) ex-PG-112
  • USS Hoquiam (PF-5) ex-PG-113
  • USS Pasco (PF-6) ex-PG-114
  • USS Albuquerque (PF-7) ex-PG-115
  • USS Everett (PF-8) ex-PG-116
  • USS Pocatello (PF-9) ex-PG-117
  • USS Brownsville (PF-10) ex-PG-118
  • USS Grand Forks (PF-11) ex-PG-119
  • USS Casper (PF-12) ex-PG-120
  • USS Pueblo (PF-13) ex-PG-121
  • USS Grand Island (PF-14) ex-PG-122
  • USS Annapolis (PF-15) ex-PG-123
  • USS Bangor (PF-16) ex-PG-124
  • USS Key West (PF-17) ex-PG-125
  • USS Alexandria (PF-18) ex-PG-126
  • USS Huron (PF-19) ex-PG-127
  • USS Gulfport (PF-20) ex-PG-128
  • USS Bayonne (PF-21) ex-PG-129
  • USS Gloucester (PF-22) ex-PG-130
  • USS Shreveport (PF-23) ex-PG-131
  • USS Muskegon (PF-24) ex-PG-132
  • USS Charlottesville (PF-25) ex-PG-133
  • USS Poughkeepsie (PF-26) ex-PG-134
  • USS Newport (PF-27) ex-PG-135
  • USS Emporia (PF-28) ex-PG-136
  • USS Groton (PF-29) ex-PG-137
  • USS Hingham (PF-30) ex-PG-138
  • USS Grand Rapids (PF-31) ex-PG-139
  • USS Woonsocket (PF-32) ex-PG-140
  • USS Dearborn (PF-33) ex- Toledo , ex-PG-141
  • USS Long Beach (PF-34) ex-PG-142
  • USS Belfast (PF-35) ex-PG-143
  • USS Glendale (PF-36) ex-PG-144
  • USS San Pedro (PF-37) ex-PG-145
  • USS Coronado (PF-38) ex-PG-146
  • USS Ogden (PF-39) ex-PG-147
  • USS Eugene (PF-40) ex-PG-148
  • USS El Paso (PF-41) ex-PG-149
  • USS Van Buren (PF-42) ex-PG-150
  • USS Orange (PF-43) ex-PG-151
  • USS Corpus Christi (PF-44) ex-PG-152
  • USS Hutchinson (PF-45) ex-PG-153
  • USS Bisbee (PF-46) ex-PG-154
  • USS Gallup (PF-47) ex-PG-155
  • USS Rockford (PF-48) ex-PG-156
  • USS Muskogee (PF-49) ex-PG-157
  • USS Carson City (PF-50) ex-PG-158
  • USS Burlington (PF-51) ex-PG-159
  • USS Allentown (PF-52) ex-PG-160
  • USS Machias (PF-53) ex-PG-161
  • USS Sandusky (PF-54) ex-PG-162
  • USS Bath (PF-55) ex-PG-163
  • USS Covington (PF-56) ex-PG-164
  • USS Sheboygan (PF-57) ex-PG-165
  • USS Abilene (PF-58) ex- Bridgeport , ex-PG-166
  • USS Beaufort (PF-59) ex-PG-167
  • USS Charlotte (PF-60) ex-PG-168
  • USS Manitowoc (PF-61) ex-PG-169
  • USS Gladwyne (PF-62) ex- Worcester , ex-PG-170
  • USS Moberly (PF-63) ex- Scranton , ex-PG-171
  • USS Knoxville (PF-64) ex-PG-172
  • USS Uniontown (PF-65) ex-PG-173
  • USS Reading (PF-66) ex-PG-174
  • USS Peoria (PF-67) ex-PG-175
  • USS Brunswick (PF-68) ex-PG-176
  • USS Davenport (PF-69) ex-PG-177
  • USS Evansville (PF-70) ex-PG-178
  • USS New Bedford (PF-71) ex-PG-179
  • USS Hallowell (PF-72) ex- Machias , ex-PG-180 nach Großbritannien als HMS Anguilla (K500)
  • USS Hamond (PF-73) ex-PG-181 nach Großbritannien als HMS Antigua (K501)
  • USS Hargood (PF-74) ex-PG-182 nach Großbritannien als HMS Ascension (K502)
  • USS Hotham (PF-75) ex-PG-183 nach Großbritannien als HMS Bahamas (K503)
  • USS Halstead (PF-76) ex-PG-184 nach Großbritannien als HMS Barbados (K504)
  • USS Hannam (PF-77) ex-PG-185 nach Großbritannien als HMS Caicos (K505)
  • USS Harland (PF-78) ex-PG-186 nach Großbritannien als HMS Cayman (K506)
  • USS Harman (PF-79) ex-PG-187 nach Großbritannien als HMS Dominica (K507)
  • USS Harvey (PF-80) ex-PG-188 nach Großbritannien als HMS Gold Coast (K584)
  • USS Holmes (PF-81) ex-PG-189 nach Großbritannien als HMS Hong Kong (K585)
  • USS Hornby (PF-82) ex-PG-190 nach Großbritannien als HMS Montserrat (K586)
  • USS Hoste (PF-83) ex-PG-191 nach Großbritannien als HMS Nyasaland (K587)
  • USS Howett (PF-84) ex-PG-192 nach Großbritannien als HMS Papua (K588)
  • USS Pilford (PF-85) ex-PG-193 nach Großbritannien als HMS Pitcairn (K589)
  • USS St. Helena (PF-86) ex- Pasley Großbritannien als HMS St. Helena (K590)
  • USS Patton (PF-87) ex-PG-195 nach Großbritannien als HMS Sarawak (K591)
  • USS Pearl (PF-88) ex-PG-196 nach Großbritannien als HMS Seychelles (K592)
  • USS Phillimore (PF-89) ex-PG-197 nach Großbritannien als HMS Sierra Leone (K593)
  • USS Popham (PF-90) ex-PG-198 nach Großbritannien als HMS Somaliland (K594)
  • USS Tortola (PF-91) von Peyton nach Großbritannien als HMS Tortola (K595)
  • USS Zanzibar (PF-92) ex-Prowse nach Großbritannien als HMS Zanzibar (K596)
  • USS Lorain (PF-93) ex- Roanoke (PG-201)
  • USS Milledgeville (PF-94) ex- Sitka , ex-PG-202
  • USS Stamford (PF-95) ex-PG-203, Bau abgebrochen am 31. Dezember 1943
  • USS Macon (PF-96) ex-PG-204 Bau abgebrochen am 31. Dezember 1943
  • USS Lorain (PF-97) ex- Vallejo (PG-205) Vertrag gekündigt am 11. Januar 1944
  • USS Milledgeville (PF-98) ex-PG-206 Bau abgebrochen am 31. Dezember 1943
  • USS Orlando (PF-99) ex-PG-207
  • USS Racine (PF-100) ex-PG-208
  • USS Greensboro (PF-101) ex-PG-209
  • USS Forsyth (PF-102) ex-PG-210
  • USS PF-103 nach Iran als Bayandor (F 25)
  • USS PF-104 nach Iran als Naghdi (F 26)
  • USS PF-105 nach Iran als Mailänder (F 27)
  • USS PF-106 nach Iran als Kahnamuie (F 28)
  • USS PF-107 nach Thailand als Tapi (PF 5)
  • USS PF-108 nach Thailand als Khirirat (PF 6)

Tarrytown, NY

A trip to Tarrytown offers visitors the perfect complement of history, dining, shopping and nature -- not to mention entertainment and first class lodging. From the majestic Hudson River views, including the Tappan Zee Bridge, to its Historic Districts showcasing 19th and 20th century architecture to its many unique shops and fine restaurants and hotels, Tarrytown offers something for everyone.

It was in Tarrytown that America's first recognized author,Washington Irving, made his home, Sunnyside, which is open to the public for tours and special events. One of the country's oldest operating theaters, Tarrytown's historic Music Hall offers a wide variety of entertainment.

A trip to Tarrytown offers visitors the perfect complement of history, dining, shopping and nature -- not to mention entertainment and first class lodging. From the majestic Hudson River views, including the Tappan Zee Bridge, to its Historic Districts showcasing 19th and 20th century architecture to its many unique shops and fine restaurants and hotels, Tarrytown offers something for everyone.

It was in Tarrytown that America's first recognized author,Washington Irving, made his home, Sunnyside, which is open to the public for tours and special events. One of the country's oldest operating theaters, Tarrytown's historic Music Hall offers a wide variety of entertainment.


Long history of dog shows

One big reason show organizers choose Lyndhurst to host this year's competition is the estate's long association with dog shows.

According to Lyndhurst Executive Director Howard Zar, Lyndhurst has hosted both Westminster and the Westchester Kennel Club Dog Show in the past the latter held competitions in Tarrytown until 2008.

The Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show will take place outdoors at Lyndhurst in Tarrytown in 2021. Financier Jay Gould and his family lived at Lyndhurst during th Gilded Age and kept dogs, including St. Bernards. The breeds were shown during media day, at Lyndhurst. (Photo: Jack Grassa)

Three of Jay Gould's children were dog lovers, noted Zar: Helen Gould had multiple dogs, including rescues Anna Gould, known as the Duchess of Talleyrand, raised Pekingese and youngest brother Frank Gould raised St. Bernards. Gould's St. Bernard kennel is still on the Lyndhurst grounds, Zar said, noting that Gould endowed the Frank Gould Cup for St. Bernards, which is still awarded annually. The show will be held under tents erected on Lyndhurst's grounds.

Westminster Weekend will kick off with the Masters Agility championship, June 11, followed by the Masters Obedience championship June 12. Junior Showmanship, Breed, Group and Best in Show judging will be June 12 and 13.


The Twentieth Century

The streets along lower Beekman Avenue exploded with modest new homes to meet the needs of the village’s expanding workforce. Meanwhile, the mansion of the richest man in the world, John D. Rockefeller, Sr., crowned the hill which had long been known as Kykuit. The early twentieth century also brought affluent professionals who settled in the new developments at Philipse Manor and Sleepy Hollow Manor.

By the post-World War II years, the ranks of GM workers had swelled with arriving French-Canadian, Polish, and Slovak workers, followed by Cubans, Dominicans, Ecuadorians and others. Activity at the plant surged into the 1970s but then declined, casting doubts on the village’s future.

The industrial age had brought economic opportunity to the village, but it had also brought a fading awareness of the village’s unique historic and cultural legacy. Fortunately, the Old Dutch Church of Sleepy Hollow has continued to stand through three centuries—the oldest church in New York State and still owned by its congregation. In the 1940s, John D. Rockefeller Jr. initiated an effort to preserve and restore the site of the old manor house and mill on the Pocantico, today’s Philipsburg Manor Restoration. The Rockefeller family has also donated many acres in the northern part of the village to a large, public state park preserve. Kykuit, the Rockefeller mansion, is also now open to the public.

In the 1980s it was proposed that the village rename itself Sleepy Hollow in an effort to reconnect with its famous past. In 1996 the village voted for the renaming, the same year that the GM plant closed its doors.

As the village enters the twenty-first century, it is taking stock of its many resources and assets—among them its riverfront location, its famous heritage, its tradition of hard work and community diversity, and its historic ability to adapt to changing times.


Watch the video: Breath of the Wild: Tarrey Town Side Quest Walkthrough (August 2022).