We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The historic Michigan State University campus is located on the banks of Cedar River, in East Lansing – near the state capital of Lansing, Michigan. Currently, MSU has over 45,000 students on its rolls.Michigan State University was founded as the Agricultural College of the State of Michigan by an act of the Michigan Legislature. The university assumed its present name in 1964.Bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral programs are offered through Michigan State University’s colleges. MSU’s study abroad program is considered the largest in the country; offering more than 190 programs in more than 60 countries spread over all of the continents, including Antarctica.MSU has high credentials as a research and development center in Michigan. MSU is also credited with the development of cisplatin – a cancer drug – and the technique for homogenization of milk.Michigan State University’s students represent all 50 states of the U.S. Its resident students are accommodated in perhaps the largest single-campus residence hall system in the country, which consists of 23 undergraduate halls, one graduate hall, and three apartment villages.Apart from academics, Michigan State University also gives due importance to recreation and sports in their curriculum. At MSU, the students, through the various organizations, are encouraged to get involved with the fabric of the college and beyond its contours into social and political action and community service.
History of the Union
The history of the MSU Union dates back to 1905, when Michigan State University was known as Michigan Agricultural College (MAC) and its student body numbered just 351 students. Since the 1880’s, college unions had multiplied across the country, and there was great interest at MAC in building a center where students could gather. A committee formed to plan the union, but without the funding, the project was just talk. It was a long, hard road before their ideas became a reality.
Ten years later, the MAC Class of 1915 pledged a $5 contribution from each student. The paltry sum of $5 in 1915 was worth about $117 in today’s dollars. It meant so much to them, the students were willing to contribute to a union they wouldn’t even get to use.
World War I intervened, and efforts for a union ground to a halt. After the war, plans recommenced, and planners changed the name to the Memorial Union, in honor of American soldiers who had perished in service to the country. The MAC Alumni Association hired the Chicago architectural firm of Pond and Pond to draw up plans for the Union with an estimated cost of $650,000 (just about $15,200,000.00 in 2013).
Old-Fashioned Spartan Spirit
By June of 1923, the Alumni Association moved forward with the ground-breaking ceremony, but could not continue without the necessary funds. However, in 1923, people believed in rolling up their sleeves, pitching in, and doing things themselves. It wasn’t that far off from the days of barn-raisings, when people helped their neighbors, no charge.
Robert J. McCarthy, the Alumni Association’s Secretary, organized “Excavation Week” November 19 – 24 of 1923, and male students, faculty, and volunteers were organized into teams of 30 to dig the foundation for the Memorial Union Building. It was hard labor, but they were good sports about it and enjoyed competing with their profs for prizes each day. They were excused from class and assigned to work in 4-hour shifts, while the Varsity band played and the female students served refreshments. (Would today’s women have joined in and grabbed shovels too?)
“Excavation Week” was a one-of-a-kind event and a huge success—it received national attention, which helped to get contributions rolling in again. But when construction stalled due to lack of funds, Michigan’s then-governor Alex J. Groesbeck, a strong supporter of MAC, proposed to raise money through $300,000 worth of bonds issued by the Alumni Association to finish the project.
At last the MAC Memorial Union opened June 12, 1925. The Pond brothers employed a Scholastic Gothic style of construction, and hired many artists to create the many paintings and sculptures that adorn the building inside and out. All of the fireplaces were lined with Pewabic tiles. Over the south entrance of the Union, Samuel A. Cashwan carved a relief sculpture of Prometheous, the Greek god who was believed to bring fire and the arts of civilization to mankind.
The new building had a 955-capacity second-floor, two-story auditorium for dining, dancing, and meetings. There were 16 private guest rooms on the second and third floors for alumni and friends a barber shop a bookstore a beauty salon a large centralized kitchen, and the offices of the Alumni Association. The Union became the center of campus life, and it was constantly hopping. It created something for the class of 2,200 students that had never before existed on campus, and it brightened their campus experience.
The Union had both men’s and women’s lounges, 11 dining rooms, a three-season sitting room, and a smoking room and also a billiards room for male students only. Several campus publications such as the Red Cedar Log and The State News opened their offices in the Union.
The Union through the Decades
Since its opening in 1925, the Union has undergone many additions and renovations. In 1936, the university took over ownership and management of the Union from the Alumni Association, due to a default on bond repayment (no doubt the Great Depression had something to do with that) in the late 1940’s, the south wing was added, with major additions and renovations to the tune of $3 million (over $28,500,000 in 2013)—a recreation area with bowling and billiards a ping-pong room with 12 tables, art and music rooms a browsing room with newspapers and magazines, dining and conference rooms, and also classrooms, a travel agency, a ticket office, and the new Union Grill, located where the food court is today.
In 1955, when the University officially changed its name to Michigan State University of Agriculture and Applied Science, the building became known as the MSU Union. A handicap-accessible ramp was added. Guest rooms were converted, and other functions moved into the Union. As students became more diversified over the years, their needs and wants changed, and so did the Union.
The Union has always functioned as a home away from home to students and still offers many of the same amenities it did in 1925: ample study space, dining options, meeting rooms, shopping, entertainment events, student organization offices, and much more.
The College of Law’s history dates to 1891 when the Detroit College of Law was established to serve residents of Detroit. Before the Law College’s founding, the only way a Detroit resident could become a member of the bar without leaving the city to study was by “reading” law in local attorneys’ offices. The Law College’s founders were a group of such “readers”—law clerks and students in southeastern Michigan. As a result, during the first two years of the school’s history, its directors were themselves students—a unique situation.
The first class of 69 graduates included a future circuit court judge and a future ambassador. A woman in the first class and an African American in the second exemplified the Law College’s commitment to offering all sectors of the population an opportunity for a quality legal education.
In 1995, the Law College affiliated with Michigan State University, thereby providing students with access to a wealth of resources and opportunities while preserving the school’s student-centric culture. Over the years, the affiliation relationship grew progressively closer, until MSU and MSU Law leadership committed to full in October 2018. As of August 17, 2020, MSU College of Law was fully integrated into the university, and exists as a constituent college of MSU.
Michigan State University College of Law has preserved the historic DCL values of access and opportunity, work ethic, and immersion in the profession, while embracing the opportunities that come from being part of a Big Ten university.
History of the Michigan State University
Michigan Governor George Romney encourages college students to develop volunteer programs for youth in the schools pre-school delinquency and crisis intervention.
Michigan State University Students, with support from faculty in the College of Education and others, initiate the Student Education Corps. Service Projects involve primarily short-term volunteer opportunities. Initiative is in response to Gov. Romney's call for service.
Student Education Corps continues and grows. Existence and work of the corps is indicative of student activism at the time in response to the national civil rights movement, "War on Poverty", and growing awareness of the armed conflict in Vietnam, i.e., students believe they can make a difference "at home", and can see some results. The primarily student-initiated Student Tutorial Education Project (STEP) with Rust College in Mississippi, summers 1965-1968, provided an opportunity for activist students to do service outside of Michigan.
MSU Board of Trustees approves the Office of Volunteer Programs. The Student Education Corps becomes the Volunteer Bureau, and maintains responsibility for the student-led, short-term service initiatives. Name change reflects both the establishment of the companion Office of Volunteer Programs, in which university administrators provide continuity both in terms of sustaining service efforts on the part of MSU, and in developing and maintaining relationships with the community, e.g., developing and sustaining "institutional memory" and long-term commitment to community constituents.
The Office of Volunteer Programs was approved by the MSU Board of Trustees on November 22, 1967. The duties as outlined for the office included:
- THE COORDINATION OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WITH THE GENERAL ACADEMIC PROGRAM OF THE UNIVERSITY
- TO COORDINATE VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS WITH THE UNITS WITHIN THE OFFICE OF STUDENT AFFAIRS
- TO WORK WITH FACULTY AND STAFF OF THE UNIVERSITY
- TO ENLIST THE RESOURCES OF THE UNIVERSITY FOR THE USE OF VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS
- TO DETERMINE AND IDENTIFY AREAS FOR COLLEGE VOLUNTEER INVOLVEMENT
- TO REPRESENT THE UNIVERSITY TO THE COMMUNITY
- TO ASSURE MEANINGFUL EXPERIENCES FOR STUDENTS IN COMMUNITY SERVICE
- TO COORDINATE AND ADVISE STUDENT VOLUNTEER PROGRAMS
- TO ADMINISTER BUDGETS
- TO ADMINISTER FUNDS FROME PRIVATE SOURCES
- TO COORDINATE EDUCATIONAL AND RESEARCH PROGRAMS.
MSU Urban Affairs became involved as first director and assistant director, (who also served as director of the Volunteer Bureau), of the Office of Volunteer Programs were appointed from Urban Affairs. As Urban Affairs traditionally works both with and in the Lansing community, utilizing this department underscored MSU's commitment to respect and include the "community voice".
January 2, 1968: The Office of Volunteer Programs officially opened. The university provided office space in the basement/"foundation level" of the Student Services Building.
The National Corporation for Volunteer Service provides national recognition to the "MSU Volunteers of 1971".
The Office of Volunteer Programs and the Volunteer Bureau becomes the Service-Learning Center. MSU was a pioneer in the national service-learning movement, (Eyler, J Giles D., Pioneers of Service-Learning), looking at voluntary service as purposeful, planned and reciprocal contributions to the community and for the public good, rather than as simply "volunteerism". MSU's view of service-learning included (and continues to include) both intentional curricular and co-curricular service.
Note: Due to the growth of MSU in the 1960's, and 1970's the roles and responsibilities of the Office of Student Affairs, to which the Office of Volunteer Programs/Service-Learning Center administratively reported, also expanded and evolved during these decades. Eventually the Office of Student Affairs became the Division of Student Affairs and Services. The Service-Learning Center originally reported to the Dean of Student Affairs. Coinciding with the naming of the Division of Student Affairs and Services, and a corresponding university vice president to administrate, along with, in the early 1980's, the extensive university departmental and unit re-alignment due to state budget cuts, the reporting lines of Service-Learning Center came under Student Life, a unit of the Division of Student Affairs and Services.
MSU is instrumental in launching the Michigan Campus Compact, http://www.micampuscompact.org, state "chapter" of Campus Compact, lead entity in organizing colleges and universities around voluntary service and service-learning. Michigan Campus Compact (MCC) was one of the first state compacts. MCC was housed through MSU until the late 1990's when it became part of the Michigan Non-Profit Association and "Connect Michigan Alliance."
MSU student leaders, seeking to revitalize student activism and action in response to the "Me Generation" of the mid/late 1980's create MSU Campus Outreach and Opportunity League (COOL). The MSU Alternative Spring Break program is a result of COOL, as is "Into the Streets".
MSU COOL launches MSU and national "Into the Streets" Day of Service. "Into the Streets" continues as an annual fall event at MSU, and has expanded to include the MSU "Martin Luther King Day of Service".
The reporting line for the Service-Learning Center changes from that of Student Life to that of Career Services and Placement.
Upon retirement of Mary Edens, long-time director of the Service-Learning Center, the director position is re-vamped to include a dual reporting line to Career Services and Placement, under the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services, and the Assistant Provost for University Outreach, (with reporting through Outreach being an addition.) The new director keeps responsibility for the Young Spartan Program and MSU America Reads/America Counts, (under Outreach Partnerships), expanding the role of the director, and broadening the work of service-learning. &mdash While course-connected, academic service-learning had been part of the charge of Service-Learning Center, renewed and focused efforts on academic service-learning begin. Working with University Outreach helps service-learning at MSU to reach back to its "roots" in viewing outreach as scholarship cutting across teaching, research and service, with academic service-learning providing a strong linkage between undergraduate learning and the community.
Campus Compact, in partnership with the Pew Charitable Trust, on a national level encourages colleges and universities to re-visit a basic tenet of service-learning, education for social and civic responsibility. National efforts for colleges and universities to listen to "community voice" so that service initiatives were purposeful and reciprocal also appear, prompting MSU to re-visit the ways in which it views service-learning. Greater emphasis is placed on service as meaningful, active community-based learning, builder civic responsibility, and a means of helping students to develop a sense of caring for others.
Hiram Fitzgerald is appointed Assistant Provost for University Outreach, and creates a new unit in Outreach called Civic Engagement to reflect national trends in student service and service-learning and the philosophies of University Outreach, (whose name is later changed to University Outreach and Engagement (UOE)). The director of the Service-Learning Center (SLC), Young Spartan Program and MSU America Reads is named director of UOE-Civic Engagement (CE). The SLC works in tandem with CE, and some functions overlap. Primarily, however, administration remains separate, but with the same director.
The Vice President for Student Affairs and Services removes the SLC from the administration of Career Services and Placement, to coincide with the naming of CE as its own unit under UOE. The SLC reports directly to the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services. The work of the SLC and CE become more intertwined once the direct connection to Career Services is removed, and more comprehensive outcomes, to include academic linkages, leadership development, sense of on-going caring for others, education related to social justice, and civic responsibility and engagement, are the intent.
To reflect the connections between the SLC and CE, the two units are given the joint title, Center for Service-Learning and Civic Engagement (CSLCE). CSLCE is responsible for curricular and academic service-learning and civic engagement, support to faculty for service-learning and community engagement opportunities involving students, co-curricular service initiatives, the Young Spartan Program, MSU America Reads/America Counts initiatives, and serving as "clearing house" for students and faculty seeking service placements and community non-profits seeking assistance from students.
MSU hosts the 5th annual International K-H Service-Learning Research Conference. Three members of the CSLCE administrative team published the corresponding book, "Advancing Knowledge in Service-learning, Research to Transform the Field."
Due to school closings and changing priorities in the Lansing School district related to curriculum development and professional development for teachers, the Young Spartan Program as a discreet partnership ended. The commitment on the part of the CSLCE to provide service-learning students to Lansing School District schools continued.
The Asian Indian Endowment for the Education of Underserved Children endowment was formed to initially support the work of the CSLCE with the educational programs of the Boys and Girls Club of Lansing. Members of the Greater-Lansing Asian Indian Community initiated this endeavor. Support continues.
To recognize the contributions of the MSU STEP volunteers of 1965-68, and the achievements of the students who benefited from MSU's service to others, there was a STEP reunion during the University's Martin Luther King Jr., celebratory activities.
The growth in MSU service-learning has been appreciable since the formation of the CSLCE as an independent, "stand-alone" unit reporting jointly through the Associate Provost for University Outreach and Engagement and the Vice President for Student Affairs and Services.
In 2006-2007, 13,825 student applications/registrations for service-learning were received and accommodated through the CSLCE.
Marked the 40th Anniversary of the CSLCE.
In 2008-2009, the CSLCE received the Presidential Award.
16,114 student community engaged learning and/or community service registrations were reported campus-wide
17,892 student community engaged learning and/or community service registrations were reported campus-wide
18,899 student community engaged learning and/or community service registrations were reported campus-wide
20,739 student community engaged learning and/or community service registrations were reported campus-wide
20,781 student community engaged learning and/or community service registrations were reported campus-wide
26,127 student community engaged learning and/or community service registrations were reported campus-wide
27,475 student community engaged learning and/or community service registrations were reported campus-wide
32,223 student community engaged learning and/or community service registrations were reported campus-wide
32,241 student community engaged learning and/or community service registrations were reported campus-wide
Nuclear physics research began at Michigan State University (MSU) in 1958. In the decades that followed, MSU became known for its innovations in nuclear science and associated cross-disciplinary research, both in the United States and worldwide. A young Oak Ridge physicist named Henry Blosser was chosen as the lab’s first Director. MSU was able to land a National Science Foundation (NSF) grant to build its first 40 MeV cyclotron in 1961. Four years later, the first beam was accelerated. Because the device outperformed its design and provided beams of 50 MeV, it was called the K-50. Along with the new accelerator, a building was erected to house the laboratory and the people working on it. (continued below).
In 1973, the scientists had the the idea of using superconducting technology to create a more powerful yet smaller accelerator. After hammering out the details, a contract between MSU and the Department of Energy was signed early in 1980, work on a second superconducting cyclotron began and the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory—formerly called the MSU/NSF Heavy Ion Laboratory—was born.
The K-500—the world’s first superconducting cyclotron—was launched at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, November 21, 1981 and the first beam of particles was extracted in August of 1982, just five years after the team was given the go-ahead.
Two years later in 1984, the superconducting magnet for the second cyclotron was tested successfully. However, the original plan to couple the two cyclotrons together was revised so that the second cyclotron would operate independently, at least for the short term. The new plan was successful and the K-800 was online by early 1988 and, due to its excellent focusing power, renamed the K-1200 a year later.
The cyclotrons were shut down on July 2, 1999 so that work on the coupling system could begin. By October 1, 2000, the laboratory successfully produced its first beam of ions from the new facility. The power of the new facility allowed the lab to explore new isotopes, some of which can only be found in astronomical phenomena like supernova and neutron stars. Because of its newfound expertise in astrophysics, NSCL joined Notre Dame’s Nuclear Structure Laboratory and the University of Chicago to establish the Joint Institute for Nuclear Physics (JINA) in 2003.
In 2004, MSU embarked on an effort to host the new Facility for Rare Isotope Beams (FRIB). After a lot of hard work and dedication from the entire MSU community, on December 11, 2008 DOE announced that FRIB would be hosted by MSU. Actual construction began in March 2014 with a ground breaking, and technical construction began in October. Work continues today on the much anticipated FRIB project, which is scheduled to be operating in 2022.
Welcome to “History of the Digital Age.” In this course, we will explore the nineteenth-century roots of our contemporary digital technologies, and the social and cultural context of their development over the last century and a half. Through a process of lecture, discussion, writing, and hands-on activities, not only will we learn about the important inventors of the early computing machines, but we will also learn about others who have labored in the service of growing, supporting, and changing these technologies.
No scientific or technological change happens in a black box, so we will be careful to interrogate the processes and ideological assumptions that surrounded the creation of computing machines, the crafting of their programs, and their integration into society. Additionally, we will explore the tension between the creative freedom that has come with widespread access to computers and the networks that connect them, and the persistent corporate and governmental control that has functioned to shape their availability and use. Finally, we will examine a number of contemporary issues and challenges raised by the increasing pervasiveness of computer technologies in public and private contexts.
Please read all the pages of this site carefully. Your success in this course depends on completing all readings, written work, and quizzes, on time, and producing clear, original work that upholds MSU’s standards for academic honesty and integrity. There will be no extensions for late work. Any instance of plagiarism will result in the student receiving an F for the course.
College of Engineering
Saints' Rest 1865
The Civil Engineering Department was established in 1909. However, it was very much a part of the school from its beginnings. The Agricultural College of the State of Michigan was created by the State Legislature in 1855 and in June of that year, a tract of 676.57 acres was purchased. During the next 2 years, College Hall, [photo at left], Saints’ Rest Dormitory, [photo right below], and a brick barn were built, and the college welcomed its first students on May 13, 1857.
Four faculty members were hired one of whom was Calvin Tracy, who was to teach mathematics and surveying. He was authorized to purchase a surveyor's compass and level "with the necessary equipment for surveying and leveling in the Agricultural College."
Faculty Row 1874
The 63 students attended classes in the mornings and worked three hours in the afternoon, felling trees, planting orchards, or hauling brick to build homes on Faculty Row, one of which (and the only one spared from demolition) was Cowles House, for the professors and their families and for some of the university’s first female students.
Rural and Civil Engineering was one of the courses taken by seniors in the fixed curriculum. In 1861, T.C. Abbot, who later became the second president of the college, was appointed Professor of Rural and Civil Engineering, although his earlier and later designation was Professor of History and English Literature. In 1861, the college graduated its first class, but had no commencement, since the Civil War had started and six of the seven graduates had enlisted in a special company of engineers that was to serve under Major General John C. Frémont.
Rolla C. Carpenter, 1877 Rolla C. Carpenter, 1885
In his 1864 report, President Abbot recommended that a civil engineer be appointed to the Faculty of Instruction and in 1875, Mr. Rolla C. Carpenter an 1873 graduate of the college who also was a Civil Engineering graduate of Michigan University, was hired as instructor. Thus, the department of Mathematics and Civil Engineering was founded. Carpenter’s first class in Civil Engineering used Wood's revision of Mahan's Elementary Treatise on Civil Engineering studying the chapters on materials, strength of materials, framing, masonry, roads, canals, rivers, and bridges. During his fifteen years at the college, Prof. Carpenter taught classes in Civil Engineering and Mathematics, while serving the college in numerous other ways. He surveyed the grounds, supervised the steam works and the carpenter shop, designed and supervised the construction of a dam on the Red Cedar river (designing his own pile driver), designed the new Mechanical laboratory, supervised the manufacture of 400,000 bricks, designed a new bath house for students (with 10 tubs - photo below, right), taught French, and, in 1884, served as the coach of the somewhat loosely organized college football team.
The Land Grant Act of 1862 had specified the teaching of "such branches of learning as are related to agriculture and the mechanic arts". Thus, in 1885, a two year course in Mechanic Arts was started. This soon expanded into a 4 year Mechanical course, which later became Mechanical Engineering. The same year, the first engineering building, the Mechanical Building, was constructed.
In 1890, Professor Carpenter left for a position at Cornell University and after a year, Professor Herman K. Vedder, a civil engineering graduate of Cornell University with a Master's degree in Structural Engineering, was appointed as the Professor of Mathematics and Civil Engineering. Vedder continued to teach the courses in math and civil engineering and provide expertise to the college in its engineering work.
In 1892, the second Tau Beta Pi chapter in the nation was founded at the college.
Animals on Farm Lane 1909
Campus life during these early years was not always easy East Lansing was just a small village. Travel to Lansing was nearly impossible in the spring and fall, when the roads became mires of mud and the streetcar that later connected the town and the college had not yet been built.
Until the 1890's, college was in session in the spring, summer and fall so that the students could practice agriculture at the college during the growing season. Additionally, many of them depended on winter teaching jobs in the country schools for their expenses. When the academic calendar was changed to include winter classes, new problems were confronted. Professor Vedder, in his 1897 report to the college president, wrote, "allow me to urge the early installation of sanitary conveniences at College Hall", the change in terms "requiring long class-work in winter months, make this necessary."
Since many of the engineering students planned for a Civil Engineering career, Professor Vedder, in 1901, expressed that "there is a demand for a course of study" allowing "specialization along Civil Engineering lines". On December 4, 1901, the governing board of the college approved the new option and seventeen members of the junior class elected civil engineering. "Topographical drawing and sketching, shadows and perspective, railroad surveying, bridge analysis and design, masonry, arches and pavements" were added to the department curriculum. On June 18, 1903, fourteen seniors became the first graduates from the Civil Engineering option.
During the early years of this new option, the faculty was overly busy. Prof. Vedder repeatedly protested about the crowded class and laboratory facilities. In 1907, a new Engineering Hall, costing $110,000, was constructed to house the departments of Mechanical Engineering, Mathematics, and Civil Engineering, Drawing and Design, and Physics and Electrical Engineering. The same year, Engineering's first Dean, G.W. Bissell, was appointed, and in 1908, the Division of Engineering was established.
By 1908, of the 232 engineering students who graduated in the years after the Civil option was founded, 117 had completed the civil engineering option. Professor Vedder proposed that in order to best serve the students, civil engineering should be a separate department and on July 7, 1909, the Department of Civil Engineering was born.
Since that time, the transitions in the college and in Engineering have been many. In 1909, the State Agricultural College became the Michigan Agricultural College. Then in 1925, the name was changed to Michigan State College of Agriculture and Applied Science. In 1955, its one-hundredth year, the College became a University and finally, in 1964, it was renamed Michigan State University.
Engineering Building fire, 1916
The first Engineering Hall burned in March of 1916 and was replaced by Olds Hall of Engineering, which housed most of the departments until 1962, when the present Engineering Building was completed. Civil Engineering became the Department of Civil and Sanitary Engineering in 1962 and the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering in 1985. The department was housed in the Engineering Building from 1962 through 1981, when it was moved to the Communication Arts and Science Building where it remained until 1989 when the new wing of the Engineering Building was opened. In 1987, the Engineering Research Complex was opened, housing the environmental engineering faculty, graduate students, and laboratories. In 2002, the department dedicated the Civil Infrastructure Laboratory, located on Jolly Road in Okemos. The laboratory was expanded in 2005 to include a fire testing facility.
The department has continued to grow and evolve. The first Master of Science degree was awarded on June 18, 1928 to Howard Allen. His thesis topic was "The Design of a Reinforced Concrete Laboratory for the Department of Civil Engineering. The CE program was first accredited in 1937 by the Engineers Council for Professional Development, which has become ABET. An undergraduate curriculum in sanitary engineering was also offered, but discontinued in 1954 as it was believed that the programs did not offer sufficient breath. Almost sixty years later, In 2011, the B.S. Environmental Engineering program was approved by the State Board of Education. The first environmental engineering student graduated in December 2011 and the program was accredited in August 2012. Graduate degrees in environmental engineering were first offered in 1980.
The civil and environmental engineering programs at MSU have always been student-focused, from 1900, when Professor Herman Klock Vedder expressed a need for a course of study "allowing for specialization along the Civil Engineering Lines" to today when student groups such as American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Student Chapter, Chi Epsilon, and Environmental Engineering Society flourish, undergraduate and graduate students work together with faculty and postdoctoral assistants to solve complex problems, and students are encouraged to actively participate in the classroom. The Student Chapter of the ASCE has been active at MSU since 1921. Chi Epsilon, the National CE Honor Society was installed as chapter 42 in 1951 and the Environmental Engineering (Student) Society was founded as a chapter of the Air and Waste Management Association in 1988. The MSU chapter of Chi Epsilon has twice hosted the Chi Epsilon National Conclave, in 1958 and in 1986.
MSU Student Chapters have distinguished themselves as being first in a number of arenas. The first ASCE sponsored National Concrete Canoe Competition was held in 1988 at MSU, with canoe races at Lake Lansing. The first National Student Steel Bridge competition was held at MSU in 1992, and the Spartans became the first national champions. MSU's concrete canoe team, the Rowing Stone, took first place in the National Concrete Canoe Competition in 1990 in Buffalo, NY. The Environmental Engineering (Student) Society took first place at the Waste-Management Education and Research Consortium International Competitions in 1994 and 1995. The EES team took first place at the Air and Waste Management Association sponsored Environmental Competition International (ECi) in 2015.
Not only on campus, but throughout the state and abroad, civil engineering has clearly left its mark. By far the greatest contribution of civil engineers along the banks of the Red Cedar has been in the education of thousands of men and women, who have obtained Bachelors, Masters, and Doctorate degrees, and have become involved throughout the world in the creation of engineering projects, the improvement of civil infrastructure and society, and in the education of our future generations of engineers and scientists.
College of Human Medicine
50th Anniversary Video - MSU College of Human Medicine: 1964 - 2014 VIDEO
"Formula for MSU Medical School" historical film featuring Dean Andrew D. Hunt, Jr., 1966 VIDEO
Since 1966, the College of Human Medicine has educated physicians and claims a national reputation for its social mission - producing MDs to practice medicine in Michigan's underserved areas. Today the college is recognized nationally for its excellence in and commitment to patient-centered medicine.
From 1959, several reports demonstrated the need for a third medical school in Michigan focused specifically on serving the state's population through direct involvement in community health care. In 1961, the Michigan State Board of Trustees decided to begin a two-year medical program that it would strengthen and be strengthened by complementary areas of the university. The preparatory work was carried by the Institute of Medicine and Biology in the provost's office, under the direction of Bill Knisley, who played a key role in the formation of the College of Human Medicine and the building of MSU's Life Sciences Building. Several grants aided the development of the program and in 1964 the Board of Trustees named Andrew D. Hunt, MD, dean of the College of Human Medicine.
In June 1965, the Liaison Committee for Medical Education, the American Medical Association's accreditation arm, granted a letter of "reasonable assurance" to the College of Human Medicine, permitting MSU to admit its first medical students in the fall of 1966 and 23 in the fall of 1967. After two years of preclinical training, these students transferred to other medical schools to complete their medical degree requirements. In 1967, the College of Human Medicine received approval to develop a four-year, degree-granting program. The first MDs graduated in 1972.
Since the MSU College of Human Medicine was created within a state-funded institution to serve Michigan's people, it was considered important and appropriate for students to obtain their clinical training in the state's communities. A formal philosophy of placing clinical training within community hospitals emerged. To implement this philosophy, the college formed a consortium of teaching hospitals in several Michigan communities, each with an assistant dean and a staff of faculty coordinators for major medical specialties.
In conjunction with its founding mission to serve all the people of Michigan, a special program to address the health care needs of rural citizens began in the Upper Peninsula in 1974. Students entering the College of Human Medicine who planned to serve a rural community upon completion of their medical training could apply to complete their clinical years in the Upper Peninsula.
Clinical campuses in Flint, Grand Rapids, Lansing, Midland Regional, Southeast Michigan, Traverse City, and the Upper Peninsula Region now cooperate with MSU in the training of medical students during their undergraduate clinical years. Nearly 4,000 physicians in these Michigan communities hold clinical faculty appointments and volunteer their expertise to educate MSU College of Human Medicine undergraduate medical students. The college also operates several residency programs in these community hospitals. These programs have proven to be one of the most successful implementations of the college’s commitment to serving the people. The Rural Medicine Program at the Upper Peninsula region campus and the Rural Community Health Program in the Traverse City and Midland Regional campuses has led to an increase in physicians practicing in underserved areas.
Since its creation, the college's curriculum has continued to evolve and the college has become nationally and internationally known as a leader in university-based, community-integrated medical education. The college is again embarking on an innovative curriculum slated to begin fall 2016. In addition to excelling in medical education, the college excels in research. College faculty members are well represented among the university's top research grant recipients. Furthermore, an MD/PhD program invites promising scholars to combine basic science research with clinical physician training.
In 2006, Marsha D. Rappley, M.D., became the first graduate of the College of Human Medicine to become dean of the medical school. At that time, the university had begun plans to expand the medical school to help Michigan train, attract and retain enough physicians to meet future needs of its citizens.
In August 2007, the college increased its enrollment from 106 first-year students to 156 students, and, in October, MSU announced a building project budget of $90 million for the construction of a new medical education building along the health sciences corridor in downtown Grand Rapids. A ground-breaking event was held in mid 2008, with construction completion planned for the Secchia Center in 2010.
Spectrum Health committed $55 million that included principal and interest payments on the building for 25 years. Private donations were raised through a joint fundraising initiative by MSU and Grand Action. This included first naming gifts of $20 million donated by area business leaders, including alumni Ambassador Peter F. and Joan Secchia, for whom the Secchia Center is named. The $90 million Secchia Center opened fall 2010, on time, on budget and privately funded.
In June 2015, MSU announced plans to build the Grand Rapids Research Center near the Secchia Center in downtown Grand Rapids. The $88 million research center will late fall 2017 and will eventually house as many as 44 principal investigators and their research teams in future years.
Also in 2015, Dean Marsha Rappley stepped down and Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs Aron Sousa, M.D., became interim dean. On October 1, 2016, the College of Human Medicine welcomed its new dean, Norman Beauchamp, Jr., MD, the second graduate of the college to serve as dean. On October 25, 2019, Beauchamp was promoted to executive vice president for health sciences. The Board of Trustees again named Sousa interim dean.
The MSU College of Human Medicine is fully accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education. With 5,699 graduates, College of Human Medicine alumni now practice in nearly every county in Michigan, in nearly every state in the nation, and in several foreign countries. As it continues to train physicians of the highest quality, the College of Human Medicine looks forward to the medical opportunities of the next millennium.
It all began in 1999.
The Department of Geography, Environment, and Spatial Sciences at Michigan State University has offered online geography courses since 1999, when Alan Arbogast and a small team of grad students created Geo 206v (Physical Geography).
Below is a timeline of course development.
Geo 206v, Physical Geography: developed by Alan Arbogast, Ph.D., Kathleen Baker, Ph.D., and Cathryn Dowd, M.A. launched in Summer 1999
ISS 310v, People and the Environment: developed by Alan Arbogast, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2002
Geo 204v, World Regional Geography: developed by Antoinette WinklerPrins, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2003
Geo 330v, Geography of the United States and Canada: developed by Jay Harman, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2005
Geo 324v, Remote Sensing of the Environment (and online Lab): developed by David Lusch, Ph.D., and Bob Goodwin, M.A. launched in Spring 2008
Geo 221v, Introduction to Geographic Information (and online Lab): developed by Kirk Goldsberry, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Summer 2009
Geo 802v, Geospatial Technology (and online Lab): developed by RS&GIS @MSU launched in Fall 2009
Geo 203v, Introduction to Meteorology: developed by Sharon Zhong, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2011
Geo 325v, Geographic Information Systems (and online Lab): developed by Kirk Goldsberry, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Spring 2012
Geo 326v (formerly 423v), Cartographic Design and Production (and online Lab): developed by Kirk Goldsberry, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Fall 2012
Geo 221LABv, Introduction to Geographic Information (Lab): developed by Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Fall 2013
Geo 151v, Human Geography: developed by Dick Groop, Ph.D., Gary Schnakenberg, Ph.D., and Adrienne Goldsberry, M.A. launched in Summer 2014
Geo 113v, Economic Geography: developed by Elizabeth Mack, Ph.D. launched in Summer 2020
As of Spring 2020 more than 28,220 students have taken onGEO courses.
Online Geography @ MSU has received outside recognition in various forms. The table below outlines the awards, talks, and publications that have brought attention to the quality of the courses offered and the program.
Bookout, Shi, Gunn, Weisenborn. 2018. Facebook and the Online Classroom: Contemplating the value of a semester's posts, likes, reactions, and replies. Presentation for AAG.
Goldsberry, Bookout, Weisenborn, Arbogast. 2015. Digital Storytelling in Online Geography Classes: Sharing MSU Geography's Experiences. Presentation for AAG.
Schnakenberg, Bookout, Goldsberry, Weisenborn. 2013. Reaching into Geography's Toolbox: Using Web-based Tools to Teach the Geographic Perspective. 2013 Michigan/Great Lakes Social Studies Conference, Lansing, Michigan.
Bookout. 2012. So you want to join the Facebooks?: Lessons from Online Geography's attempt to relate to students using social media. Geography Colloquium at Michigan State.
Goldsberry, Bookout, Weisenborn. 2012. Teaching Volunteered Geographic Information in an Online Environment. Presentation for AAG.
Bookout, Goldsberry, Weisenborn, Arbogast. 2012. Opening Student Eyes to the Geographic Perspective. Presentation for AAG.
Goldsberry, Bookout. 2010. Designing and Managing Large Enrollment Online Courses. MSU vuDAT Breakfast Series.
Olson, WinklerPrins, Weisenborn. 2009. Assessment in Selected Courses at Michigan State University. Presentation at NCGE.
Kristy Stanley, Weisenborn, Robert Goodwin, Lusch, Groop. 2008. Creating an Online Geography Course in Remote Sensing at Michigan State University. Poster at AAG Conference.
Weisenborn, Groop. 2007. Insights on Developing Online Geography Courses. Presentation at Central Michigan University.
WinklerPrins, Weisenborn. 2006. Insights on Designing and Managing Large Online Courses. MSU TechTalk.
Weisenborn, Groop, WinklerPrins, Arbogast, Harman. 2006. Assessing Online Geography Courses at Michigan State University. Presentation at AAG Conference.
Arbogast, WinklerPrins, Weisenborn, Groop, Harman. 2006. The Online Geography Program at Michigan State University. MSU TechTalk.
Weisenborn, WinklerPrins, Groop, Arbogast. 2004. Designing a Virtual Geography Program. Poster at AAG Conference.
WinklerPrins, Weisenborn, Groop, Arbogast. 2007. Developing Online Geography Courses: Experiences from Michigan State. Journal of Geography.
AT&T Faculty-Staff Awards in Instructional Technology. 2010. Introduction to Geographic Information (Geo 221v). Adrienne Goldsberry, Kirk Goldsberry.
AT&T Faculty-Staff Awards in Instructional Technology. 2005. World Regional Geography (Geo 204v). WinklerPrins, Weisenborn.
Staff, Faculty, Instructors
Beth Weisenborn, began in 2001: Instructor, Course Coordinator, and Director.
Juliegh Bookout, began in 2003: Instructor, Course Developer & Coordinator.
In 1964, osteopathic physicians, working in cooperation with the Michigan Association of Osteopathic Physicians and Surgeons, were successful in obtaining a charter to establish an osteopathic medical college in Michigan. The original Michigan College of Osteopathic Medicine was located in Pontiac and admitted its first students in 1969.
That same year, the state legislature enacted Public Act 162, which specified that &ldquoA school of osteopathic medicine is established and shall be located as determined by the state board of education at an existing campus of a state university with an existing school or college of medicine."
To comply with this legislation, the college charter was transferred to the Board of Trustees of Michigan State University and the college was relocated to Fee Hall on the East Lansing campus in 1971. At that time, it became known as the Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine.
Since 2009, the college has operated under a model of &ldquoOne College, Three Sites." These sites include East Lansing, as well as locations in southeast Michigan: the Detroit Medical Center in Detroit and the Macomb University Center in Clinton Township, which are home to roughly one-third of each enrolled class.
The College of Osteopathic Medicine has a long-established network of community teaching hospitals throughout Michigan. Known as the Statewide Campus System, or SCS, this network was the original model for the osteopathic postdoctoral training institution, or OPTI. SCS has been accredited by the American Osteopathic Association as an OPTI and currently holds institutional accreditation by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education, or ACGME. In partnership with the college, SCS residency programs lead the nation in achieving accreditation under ACGME.
Today, more than 300 osteopathic students graduate each year as part of our mandate to produce primary care physicians for the state. The college also receives more research funding from the National Institutes of Health than any other osteopathic college in the nation.
Michigan State University - History
MSU athletes compete and perform in a number of athletic facilities, past and present, from the Armory and Jenison Fieldhouse to College Field and Spartan Stadium.
The Armory, completed in 1886, was originally the only sports facility for indoor team competitions, in addition to gymnastics, boxing, wrestling and other sports, plus other non-sports activities, such as drill hall and ballroom. In 1930 Demonstration Hall was inaugurated, only to be replaced by Jenison Field house, built in 1939, with a seating capacity of 10,000. For five decades Jenison was the arena for basketball and other indoor sports. In the mid 1980s plans were underway to build a completely new sports arena for more than 30 million dollars. The new facility was expected to accommodate more than 15,000 spectators. Named after the university vice president, Jack Breslin, who had been a baseball, football and basketball star for MSU in the 1940s, the arena opened in the fall of 1989 at the cost of 43 million dollars. In 2000 right after the MSU Spartans basketball team won the National Championship, the university announced a $5.9 million addition to the Breslin Center.
On Saturday October 11, 1924 Michigan Agriculture College Stadium or "College Field" was dedicated, in a game where the Aggies faced the University of Michigan Wolverines. The state governor, the presidents of M.A.C. and U. of M. delivered inaugural speeches for the occasion. The stadium replaced the Old College Field and could accommodate 14,000 spectators. The original building has been practically rebuilt in three different occasions. In the first time -in 1935- its name was changed to Macklin Field, with renovations that increased fan capacity to 26,000. Thirteen years later, in 1948, the second rebuilding would take place, and the facility's name was changed to Macklin Stadium, with accommodation for 51,000 people. In 1956 the stadium underwent yet another significant transformation and became Spartan Stadium with capacity for 76,000 spectators.
The most recent expansion and renovations of Spartan Stadium were completed in 2005, including a new press box, luxury suites and new club seats. Besides the classic 1966 "Game of the Century" between Spartans and Fighting Irish, the stadium has witnessed many epic battles between Spartans and Big Ten rivals, and other national opponents. The stadium has consolidated a well earned reputation as one of the loudest football fields in the country. In 2001 Spartan Stadium hosted the "Cold War", a hockey match between Michigan and Michigan State, which ended in another tie, setting an attendance world record for ice hockey games (74,754).
Baseball was the first organized sport in the Michigan Agriculture College athletic history. Organized for and by the students, baseball teams competed in nearby communities in the 1860s. The first match recorded between M.A.C. and the University of Michigan goes back to 1868. In the 1880s students participated in "field days" where different athletic competitions took place against Olivet and Albion colleges. In 1886 the M.A.C. baseball club was officially created and in 1888 the Michigan Inter-Collegiate Athletic Association was created by students from Albion, Hillsdale, Olivet and M.A.C.
The first intercollegiate basketball game took place in 1899, only few years after Dr. James A. Naismith invented the game as an indoor winter activity in Springfield, Massachusetts. In the 1930s basketball became a very popular sport among the student population, with the inauguration of Demonstration Hall as the university indoor basketball arena on January 22, 1930. In 1940 Jenison Field House became the new center for Spartan basketball. In 1957 the Spartans conquered the Big Ten title and made it to the NCAA final four for the first time, and lost to North Carolina in the immortalized triple over time game. Led by Earvin "Magic" Johnson, a Lansing native, the Spartans captured the first NCAA national championship in Men's Basketball in 1979 in a historic match against Larry Bird's Indiana State.
Prominent players include a long list led by Julius McCoy, Johnny Green, Lyman Frimodig, Chester Aubuchon, Magic Johnson, and more recently, Mateen Cleaves, Drew Neitzel. The 1990s witnessed a golden era in Spartan basketball under Coach Tom Izzo, who led the team to an NCAA national championship in 2000.
Boxing experienced a brief life as a college sport between 1888 and 1892 and was included in the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association (MIAA), which was formed in 1888. After 1892 boxing disappeared as a competitive intercollegiate sport. In 1938 boxing reacquired varsity status inaugurating a new era in which Spartan athletes would excel. Under Coach George Makris Spartan athletes dominated opponents at regional and national competitions, achieving two NCAA national team championships (1951 and 1955) and nine individual NCAA titles. Special mention deserve Spartan fighters Chuck Davey, the only boxer in college history with four NCAA titles and John Horne, an African American athlete who won three consecutive NCAA titles between 1958 and 1960. The boxing program was terminated in 1958 amidst criticism for the sport and its role as intercollegiate athletic activity. The majority of Big Ten universities also terminated their boxing teams.
In the 1890s as the college authorities initiated a move to place athletics under their supervision the appointment of coaches ceased to be a student prerogative. In 1899 the department of Physical Culture was established and Rev. Charles O. Bemies was hired to coach sports, mostly football and baseball, and lead spiritual services at the college chapel. The next coach, Chester L. Brewer, was hired as professor of physical culture in 1903. A former coach in Albion College, Brewer directed M.A.C. sports until 1910, when he left for the University of Missouri. John F. Macklin, a former University of Pennsylvania football player, became the new athletic director and football coach, and led the football team to its first victories against the University of Michigan (1913 and 1915) and its first undefeated season (1913).
Clarence "Biggie" Munn was hired in 1947 as football head coach. Munn led the football team to NCAA consecutive national titles and national recognition.
Hugh "Duffy" Daugherty started his coaching career as the assistant coach to "Biggie" Munn. In 1954 became the head football coach of MSU after Munn became the Athletic Director. Daugherty coached for 19 seasons with a winning record of 109-69-5. He retired after the 19th season in 1972, obtaining consecutive national championships in 1965 and 1966.
The first football team was organized by students in 1896. In 1913 the M.A.C. Aggies completed a perfect season. After WWII the Spartan football program entered and dominated the Big Ten Conference and achieved national prominence under coaches Clarence "Biggie" Munn and Hugh "Duffy" Daugherty. Both Munn and Daugherty conquered four NCAA national titles with their respective squadrons in 1951, 1952, 1965 and 1966. Daugherty's team also participated in the "Game of the Century" in 1966 against Notre Dame University Fighting Irish. Both teams arrived undefeated and the final score was a 10-10 tie.
Spartans have brought to East Lansing 25 national team championships and Michigan State University is the only school with multiple NCAA titles in Football, Ice Hockey and Basketball. MSU teams will soon pass the 100th mark for Big Ten titles, even though Men started competing in 1951 and Women in 1971. Individually, Spartan athletes have obtained NCAA national titles in more than 100 occasions and more than 500 first places in Big Ten competitions. Some of the team national titles include: Basketball (1979, 2000), Boxing (1951, 1955), Cross Country (1939, 1948, 1949, 1952, 1955, 1956, 1958, 1959), Football (1951, 1952, 1965, 1966), Gymnastics (1958), Hockey (1966, 1986, 2007), Soccer (1967, 1968), Wrestling (1967).
The Green Splash is a women's honorary swimming club of Michigan State University. Officially created in 1927, the Green Splash developed as a result of the activities of the Women's Life Saving Corps, established in the spring of 1922 by the American Red Cross. The name Green Splash reflected a new focus on promoting interest in all water activities among female students. The requirements for a female student to join the group were: to be a sophomore, junior, or senior to maintain a minimum of a "C" grade point average and to pass designated swimming requirements. The club soon ventured into the production of "water pageant shows" carefully staged with elaborately planned costumes and scenery centered on a single theme. Female athletes would showcase their abilities as soloists, in duets or large groups of synchronized swimmers. Men and women from the diving teams would also participate in the water shows.
Soccer became a varsity team at MSU in 1956, conquering the first Big Ten title in 1959 led by Coach Gene Kenney. Kenney coached the team from 1956 to 1970 winning the NCAA national championship in consecutive seasons (1967 and 1968). With one of the most impressive winning records for any college sport, Kenney took the Spartans to eight consecutive appearances in NCAA tournaments. In 1970 support for the soccer program was significantly reduced and the Spartan dynasty came to an end. Recently Spartan soccer has experienced a renaissance, winning the Big Ten title in 2004.
Swimming had rather humble origins in the M.A.C. Competitions can be originally traced back to the building of pool facilities in 1902, called the "Bath House." The actual pool was small by today's standards, with only seventeen by thirty-five feet, but contained showers, locker rooms, among other amenities.
Swimming intercollegiate competitions started in 1922 for the M.A.C. Aggies. The next year they obtained their first team victory against the Grand Rapids Y.M.C.A.
In 1941 Jenison Pool hosted the NCAA championship. Spartan swimmers conquered their first NAAU championship in 1945 and their first Big Ten title in 1957 guided by legendary Coach Charles McCaffree Jr. (1942-1969). In 1957 IM West Pool was built to replace the old Jenison pool, and became one of the best Olympic pools in the country. This world class natatorium was equipped with modern technology and accommodated over 2,000 people, with side stands that created a stadium-like atmosphere. In 1959 Spartans won the AAU National summer championship. The natatorium hosted the Pan American Games in 1959 and would eventually be renamed in honor of Coach McCaffree. For women swimming did not become a varsity sport until 1970. The first women's swimming team dominated the Big Ten conference with championships in 1973, 1974 and 1975. Since IM West was used for men's recreational use only, female swimmers had to practice at the IM Circle until 1978.
Tennis was a popular feature in the original intercollegiate meetings that brought together Olivet, Albion and M.A.C. in the 1880s classic "field days". It was also a sport that included both men and women in the competitions. Clay and lawn courts existed on temporary basis in different campus locations until the 1930s, when fifteen courts were built. These courts were destroyed to accommodate the Men's Intramural Building, constructed in 1957. Forty new tennis courts were created south of Spartan Stadium. A chemistry professor named Charles D.Ball became the first tennis coach in 1921 and guided the players until 1946. Tennis enjoys the distinction of being the first sport in which Spartans won a Big Ten championship in 1951.
Track & Field
Track events constituted the backbone of athletic events at the origins of both intramural and intercollegiate competitions in the 1880s. M.A.C. athletes completely dominated in the track events organized by the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association winning 15 titles in 20 seasons (1888-1907). Leander Burnett, a Native American athlete, won three all-around championships and 37 events in the first era of M.A.C. track & field events. With the inauguration of the Men's Gymnasium in 1920 the college could host the M.A.C. Track Carnival in 1921, which later became the Michigan State Relays. The track program reached national prominence under the guidance of Ralph H. Young (1923-1940), coach and later athletic director. Young was pivotal in the creation of the Central Collegiate Conference, with Notre Dame and Marquette, in 1926. In the 1940s Jenison Field House housed the indoor track events. Spartan athletes obtained the Big Ten titles for indoor in 1966 and outdoor in 1965 and 1966.
The first record of an ice hockey game is from January 11, 1922, when a M.A.C. team traveled to Ann Arbor to play the University of Michigan. The following week the Aggies hosted Notre Dame University on the Red Cedar's frozen waters. In 1924 a rink was established in the Old College Field, abandoned by the football squad for the new stadium.
In 1926 the Spartans were admitted in the Western League but in 1931 the program was cancelled indefinitely. The ice hockey program took a long hiatus from 1931 until 1948 when indoor facilities where available in Demonstration Hall. There are many reasons that this occurred, including the lack of facilities, institutional indifference towards the sport and the dependence on the unreliable Michigan weather. The hockey team would return in the late 1940s and would continue until present day, conquering three NCAA National Championships in the process in 1966, 1986 and 2007. Michigan State coaches are in the lead for all time wins in the NCAA as well, with former coach Ron Mason in first and current coach Rick Comley in second. The program has come from the early days skating on the Red Cedar River to a national powerhouse in the sport of ice hockey.
Women Before 1945
Despite being admitted since 1870 to M.A.C. women athletes did not receive the same type of support as their male counterparts in sports activities. In 1888 women formed their first regular sports teams but only until 1896 they were allowed to compete in field day meetings. Women's basketball formally started in 1898. In 1919 the Department of Physical Education for Women was created, led by Helen D. Grimes. Female students were required to participate in physical activities including calisthenics and non-contact sports. In 1922 the Women Life Saving Corps was formed, to later become the Green Splash in 1927, and in 1924 the creation of the Women's Athletic Association opened new venues for athletic competitions. By 1926 the association had more than 100 members and featured 18 different sports in 1928 a major in Physical Education for Women was approved. Soccer, skating, hiking, volleyball, tennis, and rifle were among the favorite sports. Intercollegiate competition for female athletes was prohibited.
Title IX Era
In 1962 Carol Herding became head of the Women's Physical Education department, and launched a campaign to increase attendance in the women's gymnasium. By the end of the decade the number of regular visitors had skyrocketed. In 1972 Title IX legislation was approved prohibiting the exclusion of individuals from full participation in educational programs on the basis of sex or gender. Despite this new legislation, a disparaging unequal funding for female and male athletes was still the rule. In the 1977-78 season funds allocated for men amounted to $776,000 while women only received less than $85,000.
In 1978 a formal complaint was filed on behalf of MSU women's basketball team before the Office of Civil Rights at the U.S. Department of Health, Education and Welfare. This lawsuit precipitated a significant transformation in the support for female athletes at Michigan State University.